22 March 2007

Cultural Learnings of Australia :: Coffee

WHAT IS THAT IN MY CUP?

Caffeine - How do I love theeee, let me count the ways:

ESPRESSO
(aka short black) a single shot topped with a rich crema

LONG BLACK
a shot of espresso topped up with hot water

FLAT WHITE
half a cup of espresso topped with hot milk in a cup

CAPPUCCINO
one third espresso, one third hot steamed milk, one third froth served in a cup and dusted with chocolate powder

CAFFE LATTE
a shot of espresso with steamed milk, and a topping of froth served in a tall thick glass

LONG MACCHIATO
espresso coffee in a regular glass or cup, topped with cold or warm milk and froth and marked, or stained, in the centre by the crema

SHORT MACCHIATO
a shot of espresso and cold or warm milk and froth marked, or stained, in the centre by the crema and served in a glass or demitasse

AFFOGATO
a shot of hot espresso over a scoop of vanilla ice cream, served in a cup

DOPPIO
two shots of espresso with a good golden crema

RISTRETTO
a double strength espresso with good golden crema

CORRETTO
a short black with a shot of brandy, frangelico, or galliano in a demitasse cup

ICED COFFEE
a shot of espresso added to ice cream, ice and cold milk in a tall glass, and sweetened with vanilla syrup, then topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings

MOCCHA
a shot of espresso and a heaped teaspoon of chocolate powder in a tall glass topped with frothed milk and sprinkled with chocolate


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dang, that corretto sounds good.

did you just make up the rest of those names or are those all real?

Anonymous said...

Julie, I miss you. Every time I hear or see anything about Australia, I think of you. I wish I could be there too.

I don't regret turning down the PhD at Perth though. I'm content to stay in France for now. But one day I will make it to Oz...

Bisous,
Jennie

Carrie Janiski said...

So which ones have you tried? :)